If you're unfamiliar with the Little Rumba sound, the following, taken from Little Rumba's fine website (littlerumba.com) should help paint the picture.
"Deep in the Welsh Marches amidst the most beautiful scenery you will find one of the most extraordinary bands in Britain. They have been hiding away, playing the pubs and parties of the Welsh Borders for the last twenty years, honing their remarkable rich romantic tunes. Only recently have they emerged to share them with the world. Little Rumba’s musicians come from very different musical backgrounds which is why the band presents such a unique blend of styles.John Hymas (violin, viola and accordion) trained as a professional viola player in the classical world. He is also a highly regarded composer and founder member of the contemporary folk band Hoover the Dog.
Singer and guitarist Pete Mustill was part of the original R&B boom in the 60’s but subsequently had a ‘Road to Damascus’ moment in the late 80’s on first hearing the music of Astor Piazzolla. This led to the formation of The Tango Band, a top three album in the Czech charts and his first collaboration with Hugh Colvin.
Hugh Colvin is the band’s saxophonist. He is another polymath, combining large scale theatre productions with playing his beloved saxophones. His music is exciting and original and often sounds like the bastard child of Sidney Bechet and King Curtis!
Little Rumba’s inspirational bass player Jacqui Savage has provided the beat for a whole series of border bands – most recently backing up bluesman Dirty Ray and as part of the rhythm section of zydeco masters Joe le Taxi.
They are joined on their latest album “Cafe Perdido” by the fabulous Welsh singer and songwriter Jess Hall and it’s her you see performing with the band on ‘Poisson Rouge’ the video featured on this page.
The band writes all their own music and over the years this has developed an instantly recognizable house style which owes debts to East Europe and South America as well as jazz and blues."
The tickets are on sale now from outlets in Knighton and Presteigne listed on the poster above. Alternatively you can click on the WeGotTickets logo below to purchase tickets online (note that there is a £1 booking fee per ticket).
Just take a look at what's on the week ahead! There's so much going on it's getting hard to fit it all in and get rooms ready fast enough.
Mon, October 8th Library closed
• Yoga with Kat Holwill 9.15-11.15am 01686 670579
• Tai Chi for Wellbeing with Sally Price. It's a drop in session in the Reyonolds Room 6.00& 7.00pm so just turn up.
• Teme Spirits rehearsal time 6-10pm
• Welsh Beginners course - 2 sessions 5.15pm and 7.30pm in the Dressing room
Tues, October 9th: Library open 10am - 12.30pm, 3pm - 6pm - Knighton's 1st Literary Festival 10-12
• Welsh FOUNDATION level - 9.30-11.30am
• Line Dancing in Main hall with Karen Hadley. 10.30 - 12 noon. 07464608747 for more.
• Community Café in Bar. 10.00am – 12.00.
• Housing Related Support – weekly all day drop-in. Back office
• Welsh INTERMEDIATE level - 1.00-3.00pm
• Slimming World 5.30 & 7.30pm. New organiser Amanda. Reynolds Room.
• Sign Language Class with Katie Evans 6.30 - 9.30 pm. 07882 168848 for info.
• Weekly Jive Class in Main Hall 7.30 – 10.00. 07767358079 for more info
Wednesday, October 10th Library open 10am - 12.30pm
• Play Radnor with STAY & PLAY 10am -12 noon in the Reynolds Room.
• Children's Indoor Football 6-7pm
• Army Cadets in Reynolds Room. 6pm
Thursday, October 11th Library open 10am - 12.30pm, 2pm - 5pm
• Leg club in Reynolds Room. 9.30-11.30 am
• Autobiographical Writing - Lara Clough 1.00-3.00 pm
• EG Dance - Children's Dance with Emily 07727 141440
• Kids @ the Comm - After school activities for 11-14 Years - 07668 635704 for more.
• Karate 6-8pm Main Hall 07816 926988 for more info
• Yoga with Kat Holwill 6.45 - 8.15pm 01686 670579
Friday, October 12th Library open 2pm - 5pm
• Library Story time 3-3:30 pm
• Craft Club 2.15 - 4.15pm in Library
• Sign Language with Katie Evans 07882 168848
• Flicks in the Sticks - showing "Beast" 7pm
Saturday, October 13th Library open 10am - 12.30pm.
• Karate in the Reynolds Room 10am -12 noon
• Community Market 9.30am -12.30pm
• 2018 BIG CEILIDH 8pm til late. Tickets available at The Comm front office NOW.
And there's more coming your way! As if all the above wasn't enough, below there're posters for upcoming fitness classes for all ages. It's worth repeating that as the centre's range and quantity of activities skyrockets it is becoming increasingly er…. challenging for a small group of mainly unpaid volunteers to keep things running smoothly. If you could spare any time to lend a hand we'd love to hear from you. Phone or call in and see Ceri or Louise in our front office or message us through this website.